Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Boy Who Lived 2.0

Woke up late to heavy rain, so Cassie and I decided to take advanted of the bad weather to see Harry Potter V. We picked a 1 PM showing, and arrived at the theatre just in time for a half hour of previews. Then... the movie. I actually thought it was great, probably because the book isn't fresh in my mind and I'm not upset about all the things that must have been left out. It was highly entertaining, and did an incredible job getting me in the mood for the release of the book later in the evening. We ate at Pret a Manger, then bought some fruit from a street vender, then went home to get ready for Betrayal by Pinter at the Donmar Warehouse. We walked over to the theatre and found our seats, and as we were sitting there in the tiny balcony of the intimate little space, I watched four women come in and sit together in the second row of the lower orchestra. The third woman in was Meryl Streep. YES. I may or may not have started shaking. Funnily enough, when the play began, I completely forgot about her and was totally taken in by Pinter's infinite pauses and loaded lines. The play was great, and though I did hear Ms. Streep laugh distinctively once, I was otherwise totally engaged in the performance. Afterwards, as we were leaving the theatre, she walked a foot from me to get to the car waiting for her just outside the door. We are about the same height. We walked to The Crown, a nearby pub, and then late in the evening made our way to the Piccadilly Circus to see the Harry Potter mayhem. It did not disappoint, as crowds below were marshalled aside to let double-deckers full of bemused onlookers drive past. The scene was incredible. We walked back to the Waterstones where we'd put our books on hold, waited in a very long queue, bought some provisions at a local super market and locked ourselves in for the long vigil. I only got to page 60 or so before I was out. I woke up at ten and began reading again at ten thirty. And. Er. Did not get out of my room at all until 5:30. When the book was done. So. It's all over. A chapter of my adolescent life closed. I showered and got dressed and we went to dinner and then walked (Cassie and I discussing Senor HP all the way) to a pub that supposedly had live music but did not in fact, and then walked to a cute pub/dance bar called the Backpacker and chilled. One female bartender was beautiful and had incredible blonde dreadlocks. We danced a little, then came home, and... well. It's late, I'm pretty happy, I go to bed.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I DID THE SAME EXACT THING (REGARDING HP AND THE LINE AND THE CAMPING OUT AND THE FALLING ASLEEP AND THEN READING ALL DAY TO THE FINISH) AND I AM SO SATISFIED AND HAPPY AND GREAT FEELING

hi i love and miss you
send me a facebook message? of affection?
-o'beck